News Image

Danske Bank Ulster Schools’ Round Up Saturday 12th November 2016

Monday, 14 November 2016

There were three schoolboy friendly games, as well as a number of Danske Bank Ulster Schools’ 3rdxv Cup matches, played midweek in the lead up to a fuller than recent list of friendly games played on Saturday 12th November.

Belfast High School hosted a rejuvenated Banbridge Academy team in a midweek fixture that saw the Banbridge team get back to winning ways. Despite going 10-0 behind in the early stages of the game the Banbridge Academy team went on to win the game by 17-10.

The early Belfast High School points came from a penalty and converted try, all scored in the first fifteen minutes of the game. Simon White kicked the penalty and then added the conversion to a try from Sam McBride. The Banbridge team got their only points of the first half when Tom Flanagan converted a penalty opportunity at the end of the first quarter. No points in the second quarter of the game ensured the Belfast High School team took their 10-3 lead into the half time break.

The second half saw the visitors step things up and sustained pressure on the Belfast HS line was rewarded when Jack Dologan touched down for a try after fifty minutes. Tom Flanagan hit a superb conversion kick from the touchline to draw the score level at 10-10. Ten minutes later Jack Dologan scored his second try of the game which, once again, Tom Flanagan converted, to ensure the Banbridge Academy team won the game by 17-10.

Robbie Mathers and Ross Cartmill, both returning from injury, impressed for the Banbridge Academy team during this game.

Bangor Grammar School hosted Ballyclare High School under the lights at Uprichard Park, in a midweek game the Ballyclare High School team won by 45-31. The Ballyclare High School points came through two Adam Clarke penalties as well as two conversions, and tries from Andrew Robson, Josh Young, who scored two, Josh Cowan, Jack Black, Jack Lewis and Jonny Crockett.

The Bangor Grammar School team scored five tries in the course of the game through Lewis Brett, Aaron Sexton, Charlie Blair, Gareth wells and Daniel Young. Daniel was also successful with three conversion kicks.

Both teams used extended squads in the course of the game and would like to thank Bangor RFC for the use of the facilities and hosting the game at Uprichard Park.
Portadown College fielded their 2ndxv when they played Carrickfergus Grammar School in another midweek friendly game. The Portadown team had built up a 17-3 lead by the interval before going on to lose the closely contested game by 18-17.

The Portadown points came through tries from Matthew Walsh, Alex Wallace and Elliott McKew. Elliott was successful with one conversion.
Daniel Curley kicked a first half penalty for the Carrickfergus Grammar School team before Iain Woodside and Jackson Smyth scored second half tries to secure the 18-17 win. Iain capped a fine personal performance with two of the tries.

In the Danske Bank Ulster Schools’ 3rdxv Cup Rainey Endowed School defeated Wallace High School by 22-10. The Rainey points came from Daniel Clarke, Adam McCrum and Rory Bradley tries with adding two conversions as well as a penalty. The Wallace High School points came through an unconverted try in the first half and an unconverted try in the second half.

In other Danske Bank Ulster Schools’ 3rdxv Cup matches Dalriada School defeated Royal Belfast Academical Institution 5th xv by 27-26, Lurgan College lost by 55-0 against Omagh Academy, Down High School defeated Ballyclare Secondary School by 48-14, Belfast Royal Academy lost to Ballyclare High School by 48-0 and Sullivan Upper School lost by 19-7 against Sperrin Integrated College.

On Saturday 12th November the Friends’ School team hosted Wellington College in a game the Friends’ School team won by 55-0. The Friends’ team had built up a 29-0 lead by the interval with tries from Chris Nesbitt, George Pringle, David Newell, Ben McCaughey and Henry Tolerton. Ben McCaughey added two conversions.

The second half saw the Friends’ School continue to dominate both territory and possession against a doggedly determined Wellington College team. David Newell and George Pringle scored their second tries of the game with Alex O’Brien and Bradley Mulholland running in for one each. Ben McCaughey added three more conversions to secure the 55-0 victory for the Friends’ School, Lisburn team.

On an adjoining pitch the Friends’ School 2ndxv played Carrickfergus Grammar School in a game that saw the Carrickfergus GS team snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory. The Carrickfergus team had taken a 15-0 lead in the first half with three unconverted tries from the impressive Josh Clements, who touched down twice, and Joel White.

The score then went to 20-0 in favour of the visitors when Iain Woodside touched down for an unconverted try in the early stages of the second half. The Friends’ School team then displayed a great degree of bouncebackability. They scored three second half tries through Daniel Patterson, Luke Scoffield and James Scott. Mark Chapman was successful with all three conversions, the last one from the touchline, to secure the 21-20 victory for the Friends’ School, Lisburn 2ndxv.

Lurgan College and Royal School, Dungannon played out a closely contested game at the Lough Road venue which the Royal School, Dungannon team won by 6-0. The Royal School, Dungannon points came from two Luke McMullan penalties, one in each half. The Lurgan College team caused the RS Dungannon team difficulties for long periods of the game. They will be wondering how they did not manage to score any points following a series of scrums and lineouts on the RS Dungannon 5m line in the first half.

The Dungannon team, with players such as Aaron McCammon, Aaron Perry and Dylan Burton to the fore, did ask questions of the Lurgan College defence in the second half but could only manage three points through a second Luke McMullan penalty which secured their 6-0 win.

Meanwhile, down the M1 Motorway in Portadown, Antrim Grammar School were the visitors to Portadown College. The College team dominated proceedings and won the game by 36-5. The Portadown College team had their pack to thank for the provision of quality possession that enabled the Portadown back division to run in six tries. Two of these were scored in the first half with Dylan Nelson touching down for both. Matthew Neill added one conversion to give his team a 12-0 lead at the break.

The second half saw the Portadown College team score tries through Christopher Thornberry, who scored two, with Daniel Smith and Ryan Daly scoring one each. Matthew Neill was successful with two more conversions. JJ McKee scored a consolation try for the Antrim Grammar School which ensured the game finished with the Portadown College team as 36-5 winners.

On an adjoining pitch the Portadown College 2ndxv played Larne Grammar School in the first round of the Danske Bank Ulster Schools’ 2ndxv Cup. The Portadown College team won the game by 28-7.

Rainey Endowed School gave a number of their 1stxv fringe players the opportunity to play when they hosted Dromore High School in a game the Rainey ES team won by 15-5. The Rainey ES team had taken a 10-0 by the interval with unconverted tries from Jack Bresland and Jonah Hastings.

Dromore High School scored an unconverted try early in the second half through Ben Heath to reduce the arrears to 10-5. A lot of Rainey pressure in the second half eventually paid off when Jack Bresland touched down for his second try of the game which secured the 15-5 victory for the Rainey Endowed School team.

Methodist College, Belfast hosted Ivybridge College in a game at Pirrie Park which the Methody team won by 30-15. Ivybridge opened the scoring when they converted a penalty kick to take a 3-0 lead. Methody responded with two penalties from Paul Kerr to take a 6-3 lead. Paul then scored a try, which he converted, to see the Methody team into a 13-3 lead at the half time break.

In the early stages on the second half a Conor Kelly try, converted by Paul Kerr, extended the Methody lead to 20-3. Ivybridge then scored an unconverted try to reduce the arrears to 20-8. Ethan McIlroy then scored an unconverted try for the Methody team to see them into a 25-8 lead. Conor Kelly then touched down for an unconverted try to increase the Methody lead to 30-8. The Ivybridge College team then scored a converted try in the closing stages of the game which left the final score reading 30-15 in favour of the Methodist College, Belfast team.

Royal School, Armagh hosted Wallace High School in a closely contested game the Wallace High School team won by 12-5. The Wallace High School points came through tries from Jack Parker and Ben Parker, one of which was converted by Matthew Pentland. The Royal School, Armagh try came from Nicholas Jennings.

Royal Belfast Academical Institution travelled to play Blackrock College in Dublin in a closely contested game the Blackrock team won by 10-5. Blackrock took a 3-0 lead when they converted a penalty kick early in the first half. Strong Belfast Inst defence ensured there were no further scores from the Blackrock College team in the first half.

Blackrock started the second half strongly and scored a converted try to increase their lead to 10-0. This seemed to spark the Belfast Inst team into action and they reduced the arrears to 10-5 when Michael Lowry took advantage of good work from David McCann before touching down for an unconverted try. The Belfast Inst team, with Rhys O’Donnell and Paddy Finnegan leading the charge, went all out for the winning score. However, the Blackrock College defence thwarted the many advances from the Belfast Inst attack and held on to secure their 10-5 victory.

Strabane Academy hosted Cambridge House Grammar School in a game the Cambridge House team won by 33-11. The Cambridge House points came through tries from Kane McIlroy, Aaron Stirling, James Bovill, Sam Millar and Jack Wilson, James Bovill was successful with four conversions.

Belfast Royal Academy hosted Down High School in a game the Down High School team won by 28-22. The home team had built up a 15-13 lead by the break with a try, a conversion and a penalty from Conor McAuley and a try from Kurtis Scott. Marcus Graham scored all thirteen of the Down High School points in the first half through two penalties as well as a converted try.

Marcus Graham then converted a penalty kick early in the second half to see his Down High School team into a 16-15 lead. Claytan Milligan then took advantage of a superb pass from Matthew Leathem before touching down for a try. Marcus Graham added the conversion to see the Down High School team take a 23-15 lead. This became 28-15 when a flowing Down High School attack was finished off in fine style by Ronan Patterson who ran in for an unconverted try. The Belfast Royal Academy team scored a consolation try through Conor McAuley, which was converted by Conor, in the dying minutes of the game. This ensured the game finished with the Down High School team as 28-22 winners.

Grosvenor Grammar School put on a spirited display against Campbell College before losing the game by 25-8. The Grosvenor GS team had taken an 8-0 lead when Daniel Martin converted a penalty kick and touched down for an unconverted try following a quickly taken free kick.

The Campbell College team replied with tries from John McKee, Matthew Crowther, Oscar Yandall and Harry Owens. Will Davis converted one of the tries, as well as a penalty kick, to leave the Campbell College team as 25-8 winners.

Enniskillen Royal Grammar School hosted Coleraine Grammar School in a closely contested game the Coleraine team won by 10-5. The Coleraine GS team took an early 3-0 lead when Ally Telfer converted a penalty opportunity. The Enniskillen RGS team responded with an unconverted try from Dylan Crawford to take a 5-3 lead into the break.

The second half was evenly contested until Matthew Mooney ran in for a try, which Ally Telfer converted, to secure the 10-5 win for the Coleraine Grammar School team.

The game involving Limavady Grammar School and Omagh Academy was postponed due to pitches being flooded following the recent heavy rainfall. It is hoped this game can be rescheduled on another date.